The SAA Practicum Unit is a short-term unit developed to enhance the SAA’s system of short-term workshop training.
While unit core training mainly focuses on Suzuki repertoire and instrumental technique, the emphasis of the Practicum is on honing the art of teaching. Topics include communication skills, teaching strategies, diagnostics and observation.
In a nurturing and supportive environment of peers, using video footage from their home studio and on-site teaching, participants practice self-assessment skills to identify their strengths in teaching and those areas in need of improvement.
In keeping with the SAA’s commitment to life-long learning, the Practicum provides teachers with an invaluable opportunity at any stage in their development.
Requirements specific to SAA Practicum Units
The Practicum, not being repertoire specific, may be taken at any time after completing and registering ECC (or Foundation 1A) and Unit 1.
Participants must bring videoed lesson segments of their home teaching. Criteria for videos:
- A complete 30-minute lesson.
- One 30-minute segment containing materials of their choice. (Possibilities are consecutive lessons of the same student, a group lesson, a reading lesson, a challenging student, lessons at different book levels, etc.)
- More footage can be included on the video, but video viewing will depend on time constraints, class size and other factors.
- Angle of the camera must show the student’s hands.
- The closest possible camera placement should be used which includes the student’s entire body.
- The teacher should be visible during much of the lesson.
- Whenever possible, include the parent as well.
- Video must be DVD format.
- For best quality sound, an external microphone is recommended.
- May31to Jun 4 Studio of Carey Cheney
Salt Lake City, UT
- Jun20-26 Atlanta Suzuki Institute
- Jun22-27 Colorado Suzuki Institute
Beaver Creek, CO
- Jul4-12 Chicago Suzuki Institute
- Jul5-9 Austin Suzuki Guitar Institute
- Jul12-16 Langley Community Music School Suzuki Workshop
- Jul17-21 HNU Suzuki Teacher Training Institute
- Jul19-25 American Suzuki Institute
Stevens Point, WI
- Aug2-7 Japan-Seattle Suzuki Institute
- Aug22-27 Borealis Suzuki Winds Institute
- View all upcoming events