Suzuki Principles in Action (SPA) is a course designed to help teachers incorporate Suzuki’s principles effectively in their teaching. The course focuses on how to teach, not what to teach, and to allow for the sharing of ideas among all instrument areas. It is based on Dr. Suzuki’s belief that knowledge is an important first step, but “knowledge plus 10,000 times” is what produces ability. This important principle, which teachers frequently explain to their students, applies equally to the art of teaching.
The inspiration for SPA came from a need, identified by both Trainers and Teacher Workshop Participants, to deal with the challenges of implementing the knowledge gained from Unit courses into the reality of day-to-day studio teaching.
- Setting standards of excellence for students at all levels
- Identifying the appropriate time to move ahead in the repertoire
- Incorporating regular, productive review work in daily teaching and practicing
- Incorporating ear training and learning by ear in daily teaching
- Focusing attention on tone development
- Giving productive, balanced, frequent feedback to students
- Communicating effectively and working productively with parents
- Structuring lessons to facilitate successful progress
More about SPA, including how to host a course in your area.