Piano, Guitar Teacher
3028 Northridge Parkway
Ames, IA 50014-4581
- Master of Music degree in performance, May 17, 1975, Drake University (Des Moines, Iowa). Grade Point Average: 3.93 (4.0 system). Major: performance. Major instrument: pipe organ.
- Bachelor of Music Education degree, cum laude, June 1, 1964, Drake University. Grade Point Average: 3.66 (4.0 system). Major: music education. Major instrument: piano; minor instrument: voice. Elected to Pi Kappa Lambda, national scholastic
honor society for musicians, May 15, 1964, Drake University.
- Post Graduate Work (after Master of Music degree):
- Hartt School of Music (Hartford, Connecticut), summer 1993.
- Capital University (Columbus, Ohio), seven piano pedagogy courses with Mary Craig Powell, Suzuki Teacher Trainer, summers 1988-1989-1990.
- Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa), fifteen semester hours, 1982-1998.
- State of Iowa Master Certification, Iowa Music Teachers Association (IMTA) to teach piano, music theory, and pipe organ. Lifetime certificate.
- State of Iowa Adjudicator for IMTA competitive piano auditions and IMTA non-competitive piano festivals.
- National Certified Teacher of Music (NCTM)—Permanent Professional Certificate, Music Teachers National Association (MTNA), to teach piano, pipe organ, and music theory.
- State of Iowa License to teach music in grades kindergarten through junior college, for both vocal music and instrumental music.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS A TEACHER & PERFORMER
- Taught applied piano, applied guitar, and music appreciation for ten years at Des Moines Area Community College (Boone Campus).
- Have established a state-of-the-art digital electronic studio and continue to record keyboard orchestrations daily with my sequencers and synthesizers for ensemble, sight-playing, solo repertoire, technique, harmonization, improvisation, and transposition.
- Currently teach piano and guitar at my own studio in Ames and continue to study and to learn.
- Perform on freelance contract (piano/vocal/synthesizer/pipe organ) in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois.
- Have worked daily for years to improve my curriculum so that my students get a good music education, not just piano lessons. (I am committed to teaching my students how to organized in their mind what they hear in music—tonalities, meters, harmonic function patterns and form patterns—not just what they read on the printed score, so that they can enjoy listening to music with understanding for the rest of their lives.)
- Have retained the same student clientele over a period of years. I am now teaching the children of my former students. I teach all ages and all levels of advancement.
- Have served for many years as a paid professional church musician in the capacity of organist, choir director, and vocal soloist.
- Certified Teacher of the Year 2009, Iowa Music Teachers Association, presented by IMTA and the Iowa Certification Board for excellent service and dedication to music as a profession.
- Distinguished Service Award (June 9, 1997), Iowa Music Teachers’ Association, presented at Wart burg College, Waverly, Iowa.
- Distinguished Board Member Award (March 23, 1997), Ames Community Arts Council, presented in Ames City Auditorium.