Violin Unit 2
Oct 22 – Nov 20, 2016 in Toronto, ON
at Royal Conservatory of Music
Violin Unit 2
Instructor: Karen-Michele Kimmett,
Duration: 15 hours sessions, plus 5 hours of observation
NOTE: The Registration deadline for Unit 2 is October 1, three weeks before the start class dates listed above. No audition is necessary but completion of Unit 1 is a prerequisite.
Unit Two topics will include:
- A detailed study of the Suzuki repertoire
- The role of the group class in the Suzuki Method
- Research into Early Childhood Development
- Discussion of the Parent/Teacher/Student triangle
- Musical motivation—how to create it in the studio
- Use of supplementary materials
- The development of tone through Tonalization
- The development of earlier Unit 1 concepts
- The development of musical styles
- Reading skills for young violinist
- Completion of Violin Unit 1
- Active membership status in the Suzuki Association of the Americas
- All participants in the Teacher Development Program are asked to prepare the repertoire to be studied to the point of fluent performance. Memorization is not required but is recommended.
- Participants should be conversant with the ideas presented in Dr. Suzuki’s book Nurtured by Love.
- 100% in class attendance is required in all of the Unit courses.
- Teacher participants are required to observe lessons given by the trainer as well as those of other teachers. Participants will have the opportunity to do some observations by video; the trainer may provide videotapes of students having lessons in the trainers’ home studio.
- Repertoire will be performed in class as part of the study of each book.
- There will be some written course work.
- Participants will have the opportunity to have a short one-on-one consultation with the Teacher Trainer.
Instructor: Karen Kimmett
Audition: Violin Basic, or Violin Intermediate, or Violin Comprehensive, or Viola Basic, or Viola Intermediate, or Viola Comprehensive.
Deadline: All audition materials must be submitted by October 22 *
*A discounted Audition Fee applies if audition is submitted before August 27. If submitted within 8-weeks of the course start date, the regular audition fee will apply.
Saturday, October 22 to Sunday, November 20, , 2016
The SAA does not run the workshops and summer institutes; it approves separate businesses to run them. For specific information on schedules, enrollment, pricing, housing, etc. please contact sponsoring organizations directly with inquiries. To get your event listed here, please see the Event Listing Guide.