Calling all students: Enter the
2013 Suzuki Student Writing Contest!
Polish up your best poetry and nonfiction essays and send them our way. We want to see your many talents! Winning pieces will be published on the SAA website, in the Minijournal, or in other publications.
To get started, choose one of the following topics, or come up with your own!
- What does Dr. Suzuki’s phrase “beautiful tone, beautiful heart” mean to you?
- What is your favorite Suzuki repertoire piece to play, and why?
- Write about a memorable Suzuki experience.
Tips for Writing
- Be clear.
- Be imaginative.
- Tell a story that only you can tell, in a way that only you can tell it.
- Proof-read! Use a dictionary to check the spelling of words you’re unsure of.
- Ask a friend, sibling, or parent to read your story and provide feedback.
Criteria and Guidelines
- Students who wish to enter their writing must study with an SAA teacher member.
- Students must be between 6 and 18 years of age. Entries will be judged in the following age categories: 6-8, 9-11, 12-14, 15+.
- Material submitted must be the original work of the student. You may submit original artwork to accompany your story. Please do not send computer-generated artwork.
- Please submit prose pieces of 250-750 words.
- Submissions are due April 1, 2013. All entrants will receive a personalized reply.
To enter, submit your piece along with the Student Writing Contest Entry Form.